TBest Services is actively seeking a qualified School Bus Diesel Mechanic to join one of our premier clients in Rochester, NY. The primary focus of this position will be the comprehensive maintenance and repair of school buses to ensure their safe operation and transportation of students. This position requires a highly organized professional who’s willing to blend innovation with tradition.
- Start by examining the school buses and conducting diagnostic tests using charts, technical manuals, and computer diagnostics.
- After analyzing the test results, determine the nature and extent of any damage or malfunction, then develop a repair plan, discussing any complex findings with the supervisor.
- Proceed to repair or replace key components such as diesel engines, steering mechanisms, transmissions, brakes, and lighting systems.
- Pay attention to specific units by inspecting and repairing generators/alternators, starters, and pumps.
- Also perform maintenance on air conditioning and heating systems, inspect and repair hydraulic system components.
- Perform routine services such as oil changes and tire rotations, as well as more specialized tasks such as vehicle alignments.
- Perform regular preventive maintenance to ensure school buses remain operational and maintain their appearance.
- Work effectively with a team of mechanics and trainees, sharing insights and knowledge.
- Keep meticulous records and inventory of all parts.
- Adhere strictly to inspection checklists and ensure that every box is checked.
- Maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and organization in the workplace.
- Adhere to safety protocols and standards while working.
- Stay informed of industry advancements through reading, peer interaction, continuing education, and participation in industry forums.
- Perform other related duties as required or requested.
Qualifications and Skills:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Associate’s degree or approved apprenticeship in diesel and/or heavy duty maintenance preferred.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of bus, truck or diesel engine repair experience.
- Skilled in the inspection, diagnosis, testing and repair of buses or similar vehicles, including those with computerized management systems.
- Ability to diligently follow verbal and written instructions and communicate effectively with co-workers.
- Proficient in the use and maintenance of hand tools, machinery and equipment, interpretation of digital schematics essential, along with proficiency in diagnostic software applications.
- Understand safety regulations, equipment manuals, and mechanical drawing/layout methods.
- Knowledge of school bus inspection requirements (i.e. NYSDOT inspections).
- Possess a valid NYS Class B (or A) CDL with Passenger and Air Brake endorsements.
- Ability to handle a workload that requires the exertion of 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and up to 10 pounds of force constantly.
- Demonstrate understanding and practical application of mathematical concepts such as fractions, percentages, decimals, ratios, and proportions.
- Leadership skills, especially when supervising apprentices.
- Skills in time management, organization, and problem solving.
- Compensation between $24 and $27.
- Opportunities for growth and advancement within the company
- Supportive team environment
- Benefits package after probationary period.
Interested candidates are encouraged to forward their resume along with a cover letter emphasizing their experience and qualifications. TBest Services is an equal opportunity employer, welcoming applications from all qualified individuals.